Saturday, March 26, 2011

The big kitchen remodel - Painting walls

Last night the big kitchen remodel started. This will be done in several stages. First up is painting the walls. This is what the kitchen looked like before we started:






And here is a preliminary list of all the things we plan to do:


I am guessing this will be a big project, I really hope we can pull it off. Wish us luck!

Designed onesies

Here are a couple of the onesies that I've designed recently:




No more weekly challenge

If you are a follower, you've probably noticed that I haven't been keeping my promise to do weekly projects and blogging about them. I've been a bit too busy with other stuff. So no more weekly challenge - just plain old projects! You will probably see a lot of house projects this spring. Here is a picture of our white board to give you an idea:

I will still blog to keep you updated on our progress.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Week 8 project - One more birthday girl hat

So my niece Ella's birthday is next Saturday. Sorry guys, but it's another hat.


I am hoping to be able to share pictures of the birthday sisters in their new hats soon.

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Weeks 6 and 7 projects - Hats for birthday sisters

The last 2 weeks I've made hats for our friends Anna and Emma who both have February birthdays. Anna just turned 3 and Emma will be 1 in a week. This is just a sneak peak, I don't want to ruin the surprise.

I also have to confess that I am struggling to keep up this weekly challenge. For some reason it seems like 672 quarter hours a week are not enough... We will see how this goes.

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Week 5 Project - William's First Year Photo Book


William's First Year

We've been getting warnings about our start-up disk being full on our Macbook for a while. And last Sunday when I was trying to login to Skype for my weekly video call with my parents, it wouldn't let me, cause there wasn't even enough room to create the required logfile for Skype. Needless to say, something had to be done. So, this week I've been busy backing up pictures from our laptop to the external hard-drive (plus another backup on CDs, to be able to delete the oldest ones off the Mac). Once there was enough space, I finally started William's First Year Photo Book, and finished it today. It is 160 pages!!! And obviously, that is just selecting our favorite pictures. I used blurb for the photo book. They are by far the best book-making site I've tried, and I've tried several. The software is very user-friendly and super flexible. The quality is top of the line. And the pricing is not too bad either. Check them out if you haven't already! Here is a link to William's book: William's First Year There is a preview of a few of the pages that anyone can access, so check it out and please send me a line and let me know what you think.

I have an entire storage bench full of well organized photo albums at my parents' house, but since we moved to the US, I haven't kept up with making albums. I've made a few photo books from trips, but I still have tons more I need to make, so I will probably use several weeks' worth of projects to make them. 

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Week 4 Project - "Mini-me"

After two nights' work, I have made William a pair of sweat-pants and a t-shirt out of my old "rags". This was my first "reuse" project - but probably not my last. It was also the first ever baby/toddler clothes that I've sewn. I don't sew much with stretchy fabrics, since I don't have an overlock machine (serger). I have been wanting to get one, I am just not sure how much I would use it, given my already busy life. For these pants and t-shirt I used my sewing machine's "fake-overlock" seam and it actually worked really well.


I love this style of pants for William, with wide leg cuffs and waist. They are not that easy to find here in the States, so I have a feeling I will be making more of these "mudd-byxor". I mainly improvised the patterns from William's existing ward-robe. I got sewing instructions help for the pants here, and they were really easy to make. For the t-shirt I just drew the pattern from another shirt and sewed it together.


Reduce, Reuse and Recycle!